680 Radcliffe Street
Bristol, PA 19007
Joseph R. Grundy (1863 – 1961) was a businessman who created wealth in a number of enterprises such as textiles, banking, newspapers, and real estate. He was active in the civic affairs of Bucks County and Pennsylvania, having represented the Commonwealth in the U.S. Senate by appointment in 1929 – 1930, and also played a role in national electoral politics, but his heart always remained true to the Bristol Borough community in which he lived.
Upon the Senator’s death in 1961, his Last Will & Testament established The Grundy Foundation to create and oversee the Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Museum and the Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library. Both the Museum and Library were named in honor of his pre-deceased sister, “Meta.” In addition to the operation of the Museum and Library, The Foundation continues to carry out the Senator’s philanthropic tradition of giving back to his community through grant awards to deserving nonprofit organizations.
The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Museum opened in 1967 and serves as the only historic house museum in the Borough of Bristol. The Grundy family home—a Queen Anne style late-Victorian era residence—represents the décor and decorum of this important period of American history. The Museum staff offer free guided tours and programs to the public. Averaging about 2,000 visitors per year, the Museum hosts local guests as well as visitors from around the world.
The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library opened in 1966 and serves as the public library for Bristol Borough and the surrounding community. The Library’s staff serves a patron base of over 20,000 members and maintains a collection of over 70,000 items. Annual circulation of items exceeds 120,000. Unique to the Library is its Non-Profit Resource Center and Archive of documents and photographs from Bristol’s history as well as the Borough’s Municipal records. Open six days a week, the Library offers free programs for babies, preschoolers, children, teens, adults, and seniors. It recently underwent a comprehensive interior makeover, and was rededicated on June 5, 2005.